HISTORY

  • HISTORY

    Founded in 1952, CSDA is most proud of its six decades of quality design. Under the leadership of Bill Corlett and Peter Skaer, the firm rose to distinction for such unique projects as the 1960 Winter Olympic facilities at Squaw Valley, numerous technologically sophisticated projects for the Department of Defense and educational facilities for all levels of instruction. CSDA has served as consultants to educational facility planners worldwide. Since 1986, CSDA has provided full program management and, more recently, acoustical engineering services for a wide range of sound mitigation projects.

  • 1952

    Corlett and Spackman is founded by William Corlett and Wendel Spackman. Corlett and Spackman’s first office is located at Clay and Battery Streets in San Francisco, CA.

  • 1953

    Bill Corlett designs the Greenbrae Elementary School (Marin County, CA). The school’s mid-century modern design is ahead of its time with many 21st century design elements such as daylighting, flexible learning spaces, outdoor classrooms, and student display areas.

  • 1957

    Corlett and Spackman designs the American Corp Sisalkraft’s West Coast plant, which is featured in Pacific Architect and Builder as an example of mid-century modern industrial design, and aptly described as an “efficient plant with a pleasing face.”

  • 1959

    Corlett and Spackman designs the American Trust Company Branch Banking Facility (Napa, CA) as a mid-century modern financial institution characterized by a “simple and clean design,” as well as an “emphasis on employee comfort” and “warm and open public areas.”

  • 1960

    Corlett and Spackman rises to distinction for unique projects such as the Winter Olympics Facilities at Squaw Valley USA (Olympic Valley, CA), which is designed in association with Kitchen and Hunt Architects.

  • 1968

    Corlett and Spackman designs dorm houses and dining commons at UC Santa Cruz (Santa Cruz, CA) in association with Hugh Stubbins of Boston, MA.

  • 1968

    Corlett and Spackman designs its first international K-12 campus at the American International School of Tokyo, Japan.

  • 1970

    The Glen Park Station (San Francisco, CA) is designed in association with Ernst Born. This modern transportation station is viewed by many as the “finest of the BART system.”

  • 1976

    Wendel Spackman retires and Peter Skaer becomes a partner. The firm’s name is changed to Corlett and Skaer.

  • 1978

    Peter Skaer designs the American International School in Dhaka, Bangladesh.

  • 1980

    Corlett and Skaer designs numerous support facilities for the Department of Defense, among them is the Unaccompanied Enlisted Personal Housing at Moffet Field, CA.

  • 1983

    Randy DeVoto becomes a partner and the firm’s name changes to Corlett, Skaer and DeVoto Architects.

  • 1986

    Corlett, Skaer and DeVoto’s residential sound insulation practice begins when the firm is awarded with a $52 million contract with the City of South San Francisco for the San Francisco International Airport residential noise insulation program.

  • 1988

    Randy DeVoto leads the development of the Saint Ignatius College Preparatory (San Francisco, CA) master plan. Corlett, Skaer and DeVoto provides all campus design services for the next 20 years.

  • 1990

    Construction is completed on dormitory and dining hall projects designed by Corlett, Skaer and DeVoto at Castle Air Force Base (Atwater, CA).

  • 1995

    Corlett, Skaer and DeVoto completes a three-phase, $30 million renovation and seismic retrofit of St. Patrick’s Seminary (San Francisco, CA) for the Archdiocese of San Francisco including dormitories, dining hall, library, classroom, and historic chapel.

  • 1997

    Solar panel installation is complete at Bacich Elementary School and Kent Middle School (Kentfield, CA) making Kentfield School District the first “energy independent” school district in Northern California.

  • 1999

    The Los Angeles office is established upon award of the Los Angeles World Airport’s residential soundproofing program.

  • 1999

    Corlett, Skaer and DeVoto is awarded the $78 million Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport residential sound mitigation services contract that lasts for more than 12 years.

  • 2004

    Anissa Wong is named CFO and CSDA’s first female partner.

  • 2007

    CSDA’s first new construction project for Los Angeles Unified School District opens with the completion of the San Pedro High School Gymnasium.

  • 2008

    At $37.2 million and a total of 100,000-SF, work begins on the Hilda L. Solis Learning Academy and Eastside Learning Center (Los Angeles, CA).

  • 2011

    Randy Waldeck, principal of our acoustical engineering practice, joins CSDA and leads a team offering a full-spectrum of acoustical consulting services including architectural, environmental/transportation and sound insulation.

  • 2011

    CSDA’s Milwaukee office opens upon award of the General Mitchell International Airport (Milwaukee, WI) noise management project, which includes the acoustical treatment of approximately 740 single- and multi-family homes.

  • 2012

    Construction is complete on Augustus Hawkins High School (Los Angeles, CA). The 15-acre, state-of-the-art, $94.8 million project is finished ahead of schedule and below budget.

  • 2012

    CSDA celebrates 60 years of business.

  • 2012

    The firm’s name changes to CSDA Design Group to better reflect the wide array of services provided including architecture, acoustical engineering and an increased emphasis on campus planning and landscape design.

  • 2013

    CSDA’s San Francisco office space earns LEED Gold Certification for Commercial Interiors.

  • 2013

    CSDA is selected to provide a master plan, energy audit, and asset management plan for the American International School in Vienna, Austria.

CSDA Through the Decades: More than 60 Years of Design