San Francisco, CA
Modernization and Addition
Salesian Boys’ & Girls’ Club
Salesian Boys’ & Girls’ Club was founded in 1917 and has been in its current location adjacent to the Church of Sts. Peter & Paul on Washington Square since 1960. The club provides recreation, arts, and tutorial programs to over 1,000 children every year.
The project involved the complete modernization of the existing two-story (14,000 square foot) building and the addition of a new (7,500 square foot) third story. The modernization included the renovation of the existing gymnasium, exercise court, tutorial classroom, children’s lounge, staff office, and restrooms. The new third-story addition includes spaces for a martial arts dojo/dance studio, computer classroom/learning center, arts and crafts studio, music/drama room, office space, and a conference room. The existing building was structurally upgraded to meet current seismic code standards. New ramps and an elevator make the building completely accessible.
The project was sustainably designed (LEED Silver) incorporating the replacement of the existing mechanical, electrical, and plumbing system with new energy-efficient systems. Also included are energy-efficient lighting systems, skylights, and a complete upgrade of the building’s envelope, exterior skin, and fenestration.